The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) East Region’s Community Street Crime Unit executed a search warrant at a Spence Avenue apartment on Friday. The officers seized a loaded handgun, brass knuckles, and suspected methamphetamine, crack cocaine, and cannabis.
Almost $3000 in Canadian currency and items associated with drug trafficking were also taken, the OPP said in a statement. Denis Vernier, 56, was arrested and charged with:
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose - Criminal Code (CC) sec. 88
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted weapon - CC sec. 93(a)
- Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm - CC sec. 95(a)
- Fail to comply with a probation order - CC sec. 733.1(1)
- Careless storage of a firearm - CC sec. 86(1)
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance for the Purpose of Trafficking - Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) sec. 5(2)
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance - CDSA sec. 4(1)
- Possession of illicit cannabis - Cannabis Act (CA) sec. 8(1)(b)
- Possession for the purpose of distributing - CA sec. 9(2)
He was released from custody and will appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in L’Orignal on December 23.