Posted on Thursday, September 9, 2018 at 11:12 a.m.
Women will Take Back the Night in Hawkesbury
One in three women will be sexually assaulted during their lifetime. Women and girls are five times more likely than men to be victims of sexual assault. In 99 per cent of sexual assault cases, the abuser is a man. Only one in three Canadians understands the meaning of consent.
Statistics such as these are the reason that the Prescott-Russell region continues to hold the "Take Back the Night" Women’s March to combat violence against women. "Who understands the situation more than women? Working with women for women must continue so we can get the message out, "said Hawkesbury Mayor Jeanne Charlebois, at the official launch of the March, which was held on September 5.
The March, which will take place this year in Hawkesbury on September 19, is intended to protest the violence, fear, sexism and sexual exploitation that women suffer too often. "It's important to participate in the Women's March because it encourages and gives women the power to claim the right not to be abused and to be able to walk anywhere, anytime, without fear," said Hawkesbury OPP Commander Inspector Frankie Campisi.
According to the Ontario’s Ministry of the Status of Women, the vast majority of sexual assault cases are not reported to the police and it is estimated that only 0.3 per cent of aggressors are held accountable.
The March is organized by the Centre Novas-CALACS francophone de Prescott-Russell and its partners of the Prescott-Russell Coalition to End Violence Towards Women, in collaboration with the Town of Hawkesbury, Maison Interlude House, Victims/Witnesses Assistance Program, Valoris for Prescott-Russell Children and Adults, and the OPP. The Women's March Committee is made up of women representative of each of these entities.
Last year, the March, which took place in Casselman, gathered about 118 participants. The Mayor and the entire committee hope to surpass this level of participation. The last time the walk was held in Hawkesbury in 2011, more than 200 people participated.
On Wednesday, September 19th, the "Take Back the Night" March will start at the Robert Hartley Sports Complex at 6:30 pm.