Posted on February 15, 2017 at 2:00pm
Fire destroys Clarence Creek home
An early-morning fire on Landry Road in Clarence Creek, left the occupants of a house homeless by the end of Wednesday.
Clarence-Rockland Fire Chief Brian Wilson reported fire fighters were unable to maintain control of a fire working its way through the two-storey building. He said the age of the building, plus the fact that it had some ongoing renovation work, made it almost impossible for crews to stay on top of the fire because of all the nooks and crannies where it could hide in the walls.
In the end, fire crews maintained a constant stream of water on the outside of the building until an excavator could be brought to tear down the structure. Fire crews then continued dousing the site to make sure no lingering flames could smoulder, hidden under the rubble.
No one was hurt as a result of the fire. The owner of the house and the tenant of a ground-level apartment addition to the building were able to get outside as soon as they smelled smoke. Fire fighters also went into the apartment and retrieved some cats forgotten in the evacuation rush.
Because demolition of the house was necessary, Chief Wilson said it will be impossible to determine the exact cause of the fire. The matter is now in the hands of the insurance company.