Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 3 p.m.
False alarm causes seniors residence evacuation
Seniors and others at the MacDonald Residence on Bertha Street in Vankleek Hill had to evacuate their home Wednesday morning because of a fire alarm.
The alarm went off sometime around 8 a.m., prompting responses from the village fire station on Main Street nearby, and also the OPP and Prescott-Russell Ambulance Service.
Residents were evacuated from the building (see photo) and escorted to the Vankleek Hill Community Centre about a couple blocks away on Mill Street. The counties social service department and the Prescott-Russell Victim Services agency both sent officials to the community centre to provide support and assistance to the residents while they were there.
MacDonald Residence is a residential care occupancy facility designed for community living in a village neighbourhood. While its residents were cared for at the temporary shelter set up at the community centre, fire fighters investigated the residence.
They discovered that a heat detector had set off the fire alarm. There was no actual fire and residents were able to return to their home around 9:30 a.m., after fire fighters had finished surveying the situation and declared the building as safe.